Housed within the existing Crounse Center were academic spaces, faculty offices, and the Doherty Library. Programming efforts revealed a need for additional classroom space, an increased library capacity of 80,000 to 90,000 volumes, and new faculty offices. Accommodating this need required an addition of 28,421 SF.
Adding onto the existing Crounse structure presented some strategic planning issues. Building to the south would have impeded the growth of athletic fields. While development to the north encroached on the existing crescent-shaped pedestrian walkway, it provided an opportunity to redefine pedestrian circulation and create a central focus within the academic quadrangle.
The existing walkway system of the academic core lacked cohesion, and the asphalt paths were aesthetically unremarkable. In addition, the 60s-style facade of Crounse was not architecturally significant and did not capture visitor attention at the apex of the crescent walkway.
The Crounse Academic Center expansion brings the historical character of the Federal-style Old Centre, the first campus building built in 1819, into the academic quad. Refined walkways and enhanced landscaping immediately draw visitor attention to this important campus resource.