The original gymnasium at St. Joseph’s Academy, built in 1954, doubled as a theater with telescoping bleachers and loose chairs on the floor for seating. Performances were compromised by poor sightlines, uncomfortable seating, weak acoustics, and a lack of space availability. The school’s faculty and administrators knew the facility was no longer meeting its academic, creative and health goals for its physical education and fine arts curricula.
Hastings+Chivetta was chosen to convert the original multipurpose space into a dedicated, 700-seat performing arts center with fixed, upholstered seats; a light/sound booth; new rigging and theater lighting; and a stage extension. With the addition of a sloping floor, the new theater now offers excellent lines of sight. A state-of-the-art sound system complements professional quality acoustics.
A new entrance lobby/commons with lounge spaces and a concession stand serves students on a daily basis and also functions as a public entrance for performances.
This addition houses the new 800-seat multipurpose gymnasium with retractable basketball goals and a 94-foot performance basketball/volleyball court with three volleyball and two basketball cross-courts. Divider curtains maximize flexibility. The facility also includes a new weight room/fitness center, a vocal music room, practice rooms, and two classrooms. The existing lecture hall was converted into a guidance counseling suite.