Hendricks Hall, built in 1903, is the second oldest building on the Hanover College campus. It was financed by Eliza A. Hendricks as a memorial to her husband, alumnus Thomas A. Hendricks, the former governor of Indiana and vice president of the United States from 1884 to his death in 1885.
The Hall has served many purposes throughout the years — it was the first library until 1952. In 2004, Hendricks Hall became home for the Rivers Institute, the first academic program in the world to use the liberal arts for the study of rivers. Built in the Beaux-Arts classic style, Hendricks Hall is listed on the National Register for Historic Places.
Administrators asked Hastings+Chivetta to carefully renovate this historic building to bring it up to contemporary standards for safety, security and accessibility. The firm successfully restored the Hall to its original historic beauty, while also renovating office suites, meeting rooms and the library for the Rivers Institute.
Among the special interior features is a central dome, which was restored to illuminate the lobby. The original shelves and cabinets were preserved in the librarian’s office, which was renovated into a reading and study room offering views of the Ohio River Valley. A new video conference room connects the Institute to international organizations around the globe.