Renovations and additions to the Pershing Building at Truman State University created a new home and identity for the Health and Exercise Science Department, and strengthen the building’s orientation to campus. This new building was designed with a connector to the 1957 Pershing Building, used by the athletic program.
Truman State’s primary goal was to consolidate the Health Sciences program that was previously located in multiple facilities across campus. In addition, the university wanted to modernize the adjacent Pershing Athletic Building, including improvements to the mechanical systems.
The new Health Sciences building creates space for the programs of Communication Disorders, Health and Exercise Science and Athletic Training. The University sought to build new synergies and facilitate resource sharing between departments. The facility includes large labs for Movement Science and Exercise Physiology, a clinical simulation lab, classrooms for nursing, computer rooms and office suites.
A new audiology clinic is also included, supported by a separate entrance. Designed as a teaching clinic, student clinicians and faculty supervisors serve children and adults through speech, language, and hearing screening, evaluations and therapy.
Hastings+Chivetta designed a variety of spaces to accommodate the clinic, including diagnostic suites, therapy rooms, and a sound-proof room for hearing evaluations.