560 Music Center
The College of Arts & Sciences is the largest academic program for Washington University in St. Louis. The university commissioned Hastings+Chivetta to conduct a Space Utilization Study on the needs and requirements of the College of Arts & Sciences. The study primarily focused on existing buildings and their utilization and condition. Hastings+Chivetta first conducted secondary research by reviewing material, data and other information provided by Washington University. Then Hastings+Chivetta toured thirty-six Arts & Sciences Buildings as well as six facilities currently occupied by the engineering program which may be acquired by Arts & Sciences in the future.
From this study, the university asked Hastings+Chivetta to complete conceptual designs for the newly-purchased Music School building on one of the outer campuses, less than a mile from the main Hilltop Campus. Built in 1929 as a synagogue, the two-story, 45,000 SF facility has been home to Webster University’s Community Music School since 1974.
The purchase and design provides Washington University with additional performance, rehearsal and teaching facilities. The building includes a 1,115-seat concert hall; a 300-seat performance space; a small recital hall; dozens of classrooms and practice spaces; a recording studio; and administrative offices.