Gander Hall Addition and Renovation
Named in honor of the late Joseph B. Gander, a major and longtime contributor to Maryville University, Gander Hall was originally built in the 1960s. Renovated in 1991, the building houses the Admissions Office, the School of Education, the campus’ main dining hall, the President’s Conference Center and other administrative offices. The foodservice staff for the Dining Hall worked diligently to offer a varied menu in a cramped, traditional facility, but they soon outgrew the confined space. Maryville University commissioned Hastings+Chivetta to complete the design for a foodservice addition and partial renovation of Gander Hall. The new Gander Dining Hall offers meal plan options for residential and commuter students and has longer hours of operation. It includes a variety of seating for 500, a new servery/food court, a new kitchen and associated support spaces. Additional third floor offices and a conference room are adjacent to a new roof terrace. Maryville University, located on a 130-acre park-like campus, was founded in 1872 and is one of the oldest private liberal arts institutions west of the Mississippi River.