The original Phillips Petroleum Engineering Building was dedicated in June 1930 on the University of Tulsa campus, setting the foundation for TU’s international reputation in the petroleum and geology fields. Recently the school published its one millionth Petroleum Abstract, a professional information and research bulletin founded at TU in 1960.
The location of Stephenson Hall strengthens TU’s south campus academic presence and creates a new science-focused campus zone.
As the next step in the development of a science quadrangle, the site for Stephenson Hall was selected through extensive analysis including a review of vehicular and pedestrian access, parking resources, site utility location, sun angles, contiguous structures and conformance with the long-range campus master plan. The site is accessible from multiple directions, thereby accommodating both resident and commuting students, and is in proximity to the new Rayzor Hall, also designed by Hastings+Chivetta, home to the computer science and electrical engineering programs.