H+C Attended TICUA Conference in September 2021
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Principal Chris Chivetta had the opportunity to attend the Tennessee Independent Colleges and Universities Association (TICUA) Staff Retreat at the end of September 2021. TICUA is comprised of 34 of Tennessee’s private colleges and universities who work collaboratively in areas of public policy, cost containment, and professional development to better serve the State and its citizens. The conference was an impactful event filled with a variety of presentations on Tennessee-specific initiatives, COVID-19 and its impact, the importance of cybersecurity, and performance management, to name a few topics.
Hastings+Chivetta was particularly honored to be a part of the events of the Staff Retreat, having worked with a number of TICUA member institutions including:
- Carson-Newman University
- Rhodes College
- The University of the South
- Union University
At the conference, Chris Chivetta, in partnership with Bryan Carrier, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, at Union University had the opportunity to give a presentation on our recent master planning work on campus. Hastings+Chivetta was recently commissioned by Union University to provide an update to the institution’s 1998 Campus Master Plan, also completed by the H+C team. After a comprehensive campus tour and collaboration with stakeholders and decision makers at Union, a campus-wide set of goals was established. These included:
- Addressing the needs of growing daytime enrollment
- Celebrating the Union University brand and identity throughout campus buildings
- Providing active learning environments with flexible features
- Upgrading technology for simultaneous instruction
- Improving exterior lighting for safety and security
- Promoting community-building through student/faculty lounge space
- Providing collaboration space for group work and study sessions
- Incorporating spaces that promote interdisciplinary collaboration
Chivetta and Carrier discussed the three-phase master plan the H+C-Union University team developed to more strategically locate related academic programs and campus services into common facilities to result in lower development and operating costs by better sharing campus resources.
Hastings+Chivetta was pleased to bring our architecture and design expertise to this dynamic event and looks forward to future work with this incredible group of private colleges and universities. To learn more about the Tennessee Independent Colleges and Universities Association (TICUA), please click here.